The Kratom Herald

Mitragyna Speciosa News And Information

Indonesian Kratom Ban Has Been Moved Up From 2024 To 2022, And This Would Cut Off The Entire Supply Of Kratom In The United States, But There Is Some Hope

indonesia kratom ban

One of the first articles I wrote on The Kratom Herald over 6 months ago was about how the Indonesian Anti-Narcotics Agency (BNN) was going to completely ban Kratom as of 2024. This situation has been caused by misinformation spread by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the BNN copy and pasted the FDA misinformation word for word. In that previous article I debunked the misinformation point by point.

In any case, things have gotten even more dire, since the BNN has moved the Indonesian Kratom ban up to 2022. If this happens, in just 1.5 years all Kratom growing in Indonesia will become illegal, and it will become illegal for Indonesians to export Kratom.

This would be absolutely catastrophic, since 95% of the Kratom which is imported into the United States is from Indonesia. In-fact, it is unclear where the other 5% of Kratom which is imported would even come from, since Kratom is banned in the other Kratom growing regions like Thailand and Malaysia. Perhaps this 5% of Kratom comes from the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam, although the 5% could also just be Kratom that was originally from Indonesia and was sent to another country before being imported into the United States.

Essentially, practically all of the United States’ Kratom supply is from Indonesia, and if it was banned in Indonesia, then Kratom would become mostly unavailable and astronomically expensive in the United States, and this would be nearly as bad as Kratom actually being banned in the United States.

Indeed, the likely reason this is happening is because the FDA has not been able to ban Kratom in the United States despite many attempts, and getting Kratom banned in Indonesia is another effective method for the FDA to destroy the Kratom industry.

All of this being said, there is some hope. First off, Indonesia did not instantly ban Kratom because the economies of many different Indonesian regions depends on Kratom. Originally Kratom farmers were actually rubber farmers, but rubber prices have collapsed due to the rise of the synthetic rubber industry. As an alternative Indonesian rubber farmers have been farming Kratom, and Kratom has saved their incomes and their collective economy. Banning Kratom would leave Indonesian Kratom farmers with no good alternative, and they would be forced into a life of poverty, God forbid.

Therefore, the Indonesian government gave until 2024 so that farmers can transition to other crops, and then the Indonesian government slashed this deadline to 2022. However, since Indonesian farmers have no alternative, there is no real transition possible.

If the Indonesian government gave such consideration to farmers in the first place by delaying the ban by years, perhaps the Indonesian government will have continued mercy and will ultimately not ban Kratom once the deadline approaches.

Also, regional Indonesian governments, such as the Kapuas Hulu Regency, have declared they will continue to allow Kratom growing as long as no scientific evidence comes to light that Kratom is hazardous. Further, they will be meeting with the BNN on June 24 to argue for the continued legality of Kratom, so perhaps the ban will begin to be overturned once that meeting happens.

Specifically, the Regent of Kapuas Hulu says “If previously our community was a rubber farmer, but because of falling rubber prices, our community has turned into Kratom farmers… It is precisely these plants improve the economy of our society… Therefore, we will fight for this Kratom. For that reason, I ask the relevant agencies to better prepare valid data related to the regions that are in Kratom, the number of farmers and how much Kratom is planted. The thing is we will have to do a video confrence with BNN on June 24, 2020”.

Also, the Chairperson of the Kapuas Hulu Legislative Council says “This Kratom plant has become a pillar of people’s lives well before the COVID-19 pandemic. Especially with this COVID-19 period, only Kratom can be relied upon by the community”.

Further, another concern is that if Kratom is banned and Kratom forests are burned down, it would literally destroy the environment of the region. There are 21 million Kratom trees, and they are among the only trees which stay lush even during dry seasons and during tidal flooding.

Thus, the entire Kratom industry and all Kratom users are facing a serious threat since the ban of Kratom in Indonesia is looming just 1.5 years from now, but local Indonesian governments are fighting to keep Kratom legal, and nothing is set in stone yet.

In the meantime, Kratom vendors and users should keep an eye on this critical situation and stockpile as much Kratom as possible, especially as New Years Day 2022 approaches.